A Professional Organizer’s Tips to Make Moving Easier
By Sally Allen
If you’re planning to pull up roots, here are some moving tips to get you through the process as seamlessly as possible. Keep in mind that being organized is the most important element for a stress-free move.
Consider having a professional organizer handle your relocation. I’ve had clients tell me that they find it more energizing, motivating, and fun to have me there and that it’s easier making those ruthless decisions about what to keep and what to let go of.
It’s best to let a professional moving company do your packing. Their packers are trained to do the job efficiently – and your household items will be insured by the company. Items labeled “packed by owner” (meaning anyone other than the mover) are not insured during the move.
When it comes to unpacking, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself. Keep in mind that when you pay movers to unpack, they don’t put anything away. So everything you own ends up on all surfaces, including the floor.
With so many things to consider in the process of relocating, here are some helpful ideas:
• Create a moving notebook or folder. That way, all of the paperwork related to your move is in one place. Make notes, create a checklist, and keep receipts and documents.
• Create a moving calendar to schedule and track all aspects and tasks required for a successful move, such as change of address notification, contact utility companies, make hotel reservations, defrost the refrigerator, etc.
• Do your research, or ask a professional organizer, about resources such as housekeepers who clean empty homes, carpet cleaners, reputable van lines and technology specialists.
• It’s time for The Great Give-Away. Why move things you no longer need or use? Find another home for them: favorite charities, recycling centers, family members, and garage or estate sales. People want what you don’t need.
• Don’t forget that all-important survival box packed with your bed linens, coffee pot and other must-have items. This box should be last-on and first-off the moving van.
• Cash for tipping the packers/, loaders and driver. You want them to take good care of your belongings.
Congratulations! You and your stuff made it to your new digs. Now, save your back by using furniture moving pads to slide heavy furniture around – it’s a cinch and doesn’t scratch the flooring.
Sally Allen, a certified professional organizer, is CEO and owner of A Place For Everything®. Since founding her company in 1997, Sally continues to help individuals and companies around the country effectively arrange space and efficiently manage time. Her professional, friendly, approach to organizing for stress-free living is evident in her guest appearances on HGTV and the ABC TV-affiliate in Denver, in the pages of Real Simple magazine and Better Homes and Gardens magazine, The Wall Street Journal, The Denver Business Journal and in other media.